The decision to become a mother is a selfless and admirable one. However, trying to conceive can be a stressful and difficult process. For many women trying to conceive, the fear is the word no-one wants to say: infertility. However, infertility is not the same as issues with conceiving. Potential causes of infertility are:
- Underlying medical conditions of your reproductive system
- High levels of stress
- Poor lifestyle choices like excessive alcohol consumption
- Having sex too often or not within your ovulation window
Wondering how to increase the chances of pregnancy?
Some say to religiously track your cycle. Others recommend eating foods proven to increase fertility. But, these methods can only do so much. There are also options for medical intervention. Artificial insemination. In vitro fertilization. You’ve likely already done your research. These treatments can be expensive and invasive. They may not suit your current circumstances. Having trouble conceiving can be hard for any family. Especially after a while, it is easy to become discouraged. If you’ve had difficulty getting pregnant, consider a fertility massage. They have the potential to be highly beneficial. There are even reports that a fertility massage can increase fertility after miscarriage.
What Is a Fertility Massage?
A fertility massage is a type of deep tissue massage. It realigns the muscles in the abdominal and pelvic regions. This type of treatment utilizes slow strokes. Firm pressure helps target specific muscles. You or a partner can perform the massage. There are also professional physical therapists available.
What Are the Different Types of Fertility Massages?
Fertility massage treatments take a holistic approach. They can focus on:
- The abdominal region. This region includes your small and large intestines, liver, and stomach.
- The pelvic region. The pelvic region includes your uterus, Fallopian tubes, and ovaries.
Holistic fertility treatment targets your body as a whole. Effective fertility treatment doesn’t focus on the reproductive organs alone. Fertility specialists recommend trying this kind of massage to get pregnant. Learn more about how to target the abdominal and pelvic organs. Focusing on them individually can increase the chances of pregnancy.
How to Perform a Massage of Your Reproductive System
Before massaging your reproductive organs, know where they are:
- Your uterus is behind the bladder in your pelvic region. Place both of your thumbs together at your belly button. Allow the rest of your fingers to fall toward your pubic bone. The shape of your fingers should now resemble an upside-down triangle. Your uterus is located where all of your fingers meet.
- To locate your ovaries, you can use a ruler. A rough estimate will also suffice. Start at your belly button and measure 4 inches downwards. Then, go 3 inches both left and right. You should be able to locate your left and right ovaries.
- You can find your Fallopian tubes as you’re locating your ovaries. They are within the 3-inch distance mentioned previously.
You can now confidently locate your reproductive organs! Follow these steps to perform a reproductive massage:
- Find a firm and comfortable surface. A carpeted floor or a firm mattress will work.
- Slightly bend your knees or rest them on a pillow.
- Rub your hands together to warm them up.
- Apply essential oils for pregnancy to your hands. Almond or olive oil should do the trick. These essential oils will make the massage easier and more relaxing.
- Take a deep breath in and out. Keep this purposeful breathing in mind throughout the massage.
- Close your eyes and visualize a calming environment. It’s essential to remain relaxed throughout this process.
- Set your body up for success. Release tension in your body by relaxing your jaw. Be mindful of any tension elsewhere in your body. This includes your pelvic region.
- Now, you can begin the massage of your reproductive organs. Start at your navel region and work your way downwards.
- Use your fingers to apply gentle but firm pressure. Make sure you massage your uterus, ovaries, and Fallopian tubes.
- Focus your efforts on particularly tense areas. Use circular clockwise motions to release tension from these organs.
- Alternate between adding and releasing pressure. This ensures a deeper massage that will release chronic tension.
How to Massage Your Abdomen
How will an abdominal massage increase the chances of pregnancy? It mainly helps aid in digestion and hormonal balance. This can promote a healthy environment for natural fertility. Your abdomen divides into 9 quadrants. It consists of three regions: upper, middle, and lower. Within these regions, you’ll find your:
- Stomach. Your stomach is on the left side of the upper abdomen. It begins as the esophagus ends.
- Liver. Your liver rests on top of your stomach in the upper abdomen.
- Intestines. Your large and small intestines are below the stomach. They are in the middle and lower abdominal regions.
Abdominal massages use techniques similar to those of reproductive massages. For abdominal massages, focus on the area above your navel region. Make sure to address all 9 quadrants of your abdomen. You can do so by giving equal attention to all three abdominal regions. Use your fingertips to identify tense areas. Slowly add and release pressure. Use clockwise circular motions.
Self Fertility Massage Tips
You are now familiar with the different massage regions and techniques. Here are some general guidelines to keep in mind:
- Fertility massages are like physical therapy. Physical therapy isn’t the same as a spa day. It has several clear purposes. It helps to relieve physical impairments and to address soft tissue injuries. It won’t feel blissful and painless. There will be some firm pressure involved. It’s normal to feel a slight discomfort. Don’t be afraid to apply pressure to alleviate tense areas.
- Know your limits. Don’t continue this treatment if you feel excessive pain. Talk to a doctor if serious issues arise.
- Perform massages at the proper times. Don’t get a fertility massage if you’re menstruating. This may interfere with your body’s natural process. Also, avoid this fertility treatment if you think you may be pregnant. It can increase the risk of a miscarriage. Massage therapists won’t perform their services on patients in their first trimester. Don’t attempt these treatments yourself unless you’re sure you aren’t pregnant.
- Get the most out of your fertility massage treatment. Try combining fertility massages with other treatments. This will help to maximize results. Also, practice healthy lifestyle habits. Get plenty of sleep. Eat foods rich in iron. Reduce exposure to stress. Taking care of yourself can make it easier to get pregnant easier.
What Issues Can a Fertility Massage Address?
As we’ve shown, you can use a fertility massage to help get pregnant. When done correctly, this treatment can:
Open Blocked Fallopian Tubes
A fertility massage breaks up adhesions. It also rids the body of remaining scar tissue. This allows your body to more effectively transport fertilized eggs to your uterus.
Poor circulation of the body’s blood and lymph fluid can occur due to:
- High cholesterol
- Lack of regular exercise
- Sitting for long periods
This poor circulation creates general health problems. A fertility massage allows fresh blood to circulate throughout your cells and organs. This increased circulation creates a more fertile environment.
An abdominal massage can improve digestion. It helps nutrients circulate throughout the body. Feces-impacted intestines place extra weight on the reproductive organs. An abdominal massage improves fertility by helping the body flush out toxins. The liver may produce excess hormones under stressful conditions. A liver massage helps regulate hormone production. A massage can eliminate excess hormones.
Improve Uterine Function
A functioning uterus is essential for getting pregnant. A massage can promote a uterus’s functionality by:
- Helping the uterus expel old blood.
- Realigning a tilted uterus.
- Delivering nutrient-rich blood to the uterus.
- Eliminating scar tissue. (Scar tissue can be left behind from pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). Surgery can also result in scar tissue.)
Address Ovarian Cysts
Some ovarian cysts don’t affect a woman’s ability to get pregnant. If these cysts are the result of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), a woman’s chances of pregnancy may be lowered. A fertility massage can help by increasing circulation to inflamed ovaries and clearing out congestion.
Endometriosis is a common disorder. It causes uterine tissue to grow outside of the uterus. This affects the chances of becoming pregnant because it:
- Causes organs to become stuck together by scar tissue.
- Twists Fallopian tubes together.
A fertility massage can help the body effectively get rid of built-up scar tissue. It can also decrease inflammation in the reproductive organs.
Treat Unexplained Infertility
Not every instance of infertility has a definitive cause. For many women, it can even seem out of the norm for their bodies: My partner’s sperm is of a high-quality and count! I’ve gotten pregnant before! Why am I having trouble getting and staying pregnant this time around? These are all common situations. Unexplained infertility can be just as, if not more, frustrating than cases of explained infertility. Many factors can cause infertility. Stress from work, relationship problems, and excessive exercise are just a few examples. A purposeful massage decreases stress. It encourages a healthy balance of hormones and promotes overall bodily health.
Is a Fertility Massage for Me?
Experts recommend taking a holistic approach. Combine fertility massages with healthy lifestyle habits. If possible, incorporate other fertility treatments. Fertility massages are an inexpensive and accessible way to improve fertility. Consider trying this treatment in the comfort of your home or seeing a fertility massage specialist.
Other helpful guides from Theraply:
The Theraply admin is our resident ninja. She manages our social media , blog posts, WhatsApp chats, and mobile apps.